Legislation that would create a system for legalizing the sale of raw (unpasteurized) milk in the State of Wisconsin has been introduced by Senator Glenn Grothman. The bill is designed to provide consumers with the opportunity to purchase fresh raw milk from local Wisconsin farmers. The farmers would need to meet the following standards for safe production:
- The milk must be placed in a clean container
- The milk must be labeled with the name of the producer and state the milk is unpasteurized
- The dairy farmer must post a sign stating "Raw milk products sold here. Raw milk products are not pasteurized"
- The milk must comply with DATCP rules for Grade A milk
- The water supply must comply with DATCP rules for dairy operations."