RACINE, WI (WTAQ) - A fire that killed three youngsters in Racine last week was started by a burning candle in a bathroom, just days after the electricity was shut off at their home.
Racine police-and-fire officials said the blaze started on the first floor – and it created intense smoke which helped make it difficult for rescuers to pull four children away.
Nine-year-old Dayja Scott, her eight-year-old sister Dalija, and their seven-year-old brother Michael Scott all died from their injuries.
A relative said the youngsters’ five-year-old brother, Luther Patterson, was still in critical condition as of last night at Milwaukee Children’s Hospital.
29-year-old Lemont Siller was also in the home at the time, and was treated for injuries.
Funeral services for the three youngsters killed in the blaze will be held on Friday.