On Air Now

Listen

Listen Live Now » 95.5 FM Wausau, WI

Weather

Current Conditions(Wausau,WI 54403)

More Weather »
65° Feels Like: 65°
Wind: SSE 6 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip

Today

Sunny 72°

Tonight

Partly Cloudy 49°

Tomorrow

Cloudy 71°

Alerts

Sunday night fire caused by electrical overload from space heaters

by

WAUSAU, WI (WSAU) - A Sunday night fire gutted a house in Wausau The fire was at 1331 3rd Street not far from Bridge Street.

Dave DeSantis from the Wausau Fire Department says the structure was gutted by the fire, which began as an electrical problem. He says, “They had switched out 15 amp fuses and replaced them with 25 and 30 amp fuses. In that situation, the draw placed on the electrical system overwhelmed the cords from the space heaters and the wiring in the wall near the space heater.”

The age of the structure and the poor weather conditions made this fire difficult to put out.

Ten people lived in the house, and DeSantis says all of them were able to get out alive thanks to working smoke detectors.

DeSantis reminds us not to overload electrical circuits, as the wiring gets hot and it can start a fire... just like it did in this case. He advises you to stick with the recommended size fuses in your fuse box, and if you have any questions or concerns about what your house wiring can handle, contact a qualified electrical technician.

Comments