MERRILL WI (WSAU) - Hot grease started a fire that caused extensive damage to a rural Merrill garage and house Tuesday. Pine River and Merrill firefighters were called to the Pope Road residence just before 2:00 p.m. The resident had disposed of the hot grease in a garbage can inside the garage with other refuse. She then tried to douse the flames with water, which made it worse and ignited the insulation in her garage.
A Lincoln County Sheriff’s deputy arrived first, and says the garage was fully engulfed in flames and the house was on fire. Deputies believe the buildings will be a total loss.