MILWAUKEE (WTAQ) - A Milwaukee man who was granted a new murder trial has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for his freedom.
27-year-old Seneca Malone remains a convicted felon, but his attorney said it’s outweighed by the guaranteed freedom his client now has.
Malone was freed for good on Tuesday, because he already served the maximum five-year prison term on his reduced conviction for negligent homicide.
Malone was originally sentenced to life in prison in 2008, for the shooting death of Ricardo Mora in Milwaukee in 2005.
The Wisconsin Innocence Project at UW-Madison later produced evidence that his public defender mishandled his case – and Malone was granted a new trial last year.
His attorney, Jerome Buting, said the state’s case was weak – but there was still a chance that a jury would send Malone back to prison.