WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAU) -- The cause of a fire at a Wausau home could not be determined. The blaze destroyed the house at 610 McDonald Street Thursday afternoon. Wausau firefighters believe it started in the basement, and smoldered for hours before it was detected outside.
The family that rented the house was away for the day, but they have the unpleasant task of explaining to their young children that the family dogs died. Their two labrador retrievers died of smoke inhalation.
Names of the family have not been released, but one of their co-workers started a fund to help the family replace their possessions. All they have left is what was in the garage. Donations are being accepted at Peoples State Bank in Wausau.