On Air Now


Listen Live Now » 95.5 FM Wausau, WI


Current Conditions(Wausau,WI 54403)

More Weather »
67° Feels Like: 67°
Wind: ESE 7 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip


Partly Cloudy 42°


Partly Cloudy 60°

Thurs Night

Mostly Clear 46°


Portable propane tank explodes in Mosinee duplex


MOSINEE, Wis (WSAU) -- A portable propane tank exploded inside of a Mosinee residence Wednesday night, injuring one person and causing extensive damage.

Mosinee Fire Chief Josh Klug says the doors and windows on the right side unit at 501 Maple Street were blown out, and the lone female inside was out of the building when they arrived. She was taken to Aspirus Wausau Hospital for treatment. The victim’s name and the extent of her injuries has not been released. Klug believes both of her dogs survived the blast.

Klug says the incident remains under investigation, but confirms a portable propane tank similar to what is commonly used with gas grills and garage heaters exploded inside the structure.

Emergency crews were called to the scene just before 9:30 p.m.

The neighbors on the other side of the duplex were home at the time of the explosion. They are safe, and were allowed to go back into their residence after firefighters cleared the scene.

Klug reminds people not to use portable propane devices inside your living quarters, and you should never try to hook a portable tank to a home furnace. He says there are programs available to help get emergency propane for families that need it.

(The unedited video of Mosinee Fire Chief Josh Klug talking to reporters after the explosion can be seen above.)