Totally '80s for a Cause
'80s Fashion Tips
Undoubtedly, the 1980’s was a decade that fashion would like to forget.
Yet somehow, since the conclusion of that era, '80s fashion keeps coming back with a vengeance, whether in mockery or in an actual comeback (i.e. the quick attempt of the leg warmer rebirth in the mid-2000’s).
Here’s our take on the hottest '80s fashion must-do’s so you can be the Emilio Estevez of Totally '80s for a Cause:
- Acid Wash Jeans: The trend didn’t become popular until the mid to late ‘80’s and was short lived. The process of acid washing jeans used chemicals that would strip the color off the top layer of denim leaving the white fabric exposed. The color that remained in the lower layers of the material left behind a faded look. You get bonus point for sporting a tapered leg with an ankle zipper.
- Shoulder pads: Apparently the boxier the shoulders, the cooler. Slopping shoulders was so ‘70’s.
- Smiley face shirts
- Body Suits: Because tucking in is for suckers. Best paired with Flinstone jeans.
- Leg Warmers: Maybe we all had really cold legs because of the miniskirts we wore or maybe we just thought they looked cute.
- Fingerless Gloves: Thank Madonna for this one.
- Member’s Only Jackets: Who didn’t wear one of these in the 80’s? The more bright the color, the better.
- Stretch Stirrup Pants: It was the fashion that made no one look good. Be careful--this trend is trying to make a comeback.
- Oversized Tops: Big sweaters, sweatshirts and t-shirts were totally hot and wearing them over a miniskirt or a pair of leggings made them even hotter. These tops were most often belted with big, gaudy slung belts.